Tuesday, 12 May 2009

busy weekend


Primrose Hill


My little “garden” is looking quite well so far. On Saturday I got up early and arrived at Borough Market before 9 o clock. It was so clear and peaceful, all the traders were setting up but there were hardly any other people around. I wandered around the stalls without being bumped by crowds, cold morning air combined with the smell of bread, cheeses, chocolates and coffee was heavenly. I bought 2 tiny tomato plants, 1 yellow tomato plant, a strawberry plant, a little tub of thyme, a chilli plant and a packet of peas. Actually I thought I’d bought cherry tomatoes until I got home and discovered I had bought Shirley tomatoes, so all going well I will have a massive crop of tomatoes in about 2 months time. I got the tube up to Kentish town to collect some compost and plant pots and I even had time to pop into a charity shop for some wool-all this before half 9!
I planted everything except the thyme into 2 big pots and arranged them on my little balcony on the step ladder that lives out there along with old wine bottles and the mop. Then yesterday I found a metal chair with a blue painted seat by a skip. I nabbed it and carried it back to my apartment, so my “garden” is now perched on its own chair. I’m ridiculously pleased with it, but also slightly afraid the pigeons will steal any fruit that does grow! I’m determined to make the balcony into a little haven for the summer, it’s already south facing so it’s perfect for a little rooftop garden. {Photos of my efforts to follow}
I started knitting again last week; I’m so slow at it though! I’ve managed about 3 inches so far. I think my first piece will be ready around the end of next week. I’m flying to Dublin on Saturday, so I’m going to take my piece with me as travel entertainment.
I had a friend around for dinner last night (bread sticks, red wine, pizza and more red wine!) I told her about my new projects and she was as intrigued as I was! We went for a walk around primrose hill after dinner; it’s so nice to see someone’s reaction to a (not well known) place that you love! The houses look like they’re straight out of Peter Pan, lots of old trees and bicycles with baskets. We passed by Sylvie Plath’s house and my absolute dream house-photos to follow. Then we went to a pub that Mick and I were in on Sunday, candles and wooden floors and merlot (of course). I love the asymmetrical houses, the old combined with the new, tangled tree roots in the pavements, more candles in the windows. Asymmetry and the imperfect intrigue me. I think my obsession can be summed up with the following, “Who needs perfect anyway, it’s the cracks that let the light in”.

No comments:

Post a Comment